Monday, March 30, 2009

What Ya Have!


Two trips down to the big Alt, for me, in one month is unheard of....but that's what happened...My oldest brother and his wife came to visit, (I am a middle child, that's half my problem) my brother is absolutely crazy about ancient Egypt, and can truly tell you anything about that time period. So we took him downtown to see the the Tutankhamen exhibit, I was so excited that he got to see this.The weather was horrible, lots of storms.... We had lunch at the Varsity, you should never go to Atlanta without eating at the Varsity. They have been serving the best indigestion for eighty years, it's intense... they start screaming,"What ya Have"? soon as you walk in the door...and if you don't know what you want, they will pass you by...I guess, it's Atlanta's version of the soup Nazi , only with southern accents....It's not Burger King...or for the faint of heart....these people are very intimidating.


A little Varsity History:

It's the worlds largest drive-in, it can park 600 cars and seat 800 people....

The oldest car hop was a man named Flossie Mae, he worked there for over fifty years, his hats were amazing and he sang the menu...

Nipsy Russell started out as a car hop

On any given day, 2 miles of hot dogs, 2500 pounds of potato's, 5000 fried pies, and 300 gallons of chili are served.

The Varsity is an Atlanta Tradition, and if your ever in my neck of the woods, y'all gotta check it out...........

No comments: