Tuesday, October 19, 2010

How To Kill A Dragon....Or At Least Relocate One...


A year or so ago I blogged about this beast of a cactus I have named Diablo (trust me, the name fits). I took a wee small sprout from it when some dear friends moved from one house to the next...My sign should have been when they left it alone...Seriously, what kind of person looks at a cactus and says, "OH I want that beauty in my yard"....What does that say about me.....But I have to learn things the hard way.....AND I HAVE!!!.. I had to relocate my beautiful roses because he had grown so huge, my goal that day was to chop that evil doer down with an axe until I saw these.......Cute, I know...
But these last for like a day......
But now Diablo is ten feet tall and bullet proof and just going near it requires some type of metal armour....My husband chopped a piece off that was hanging to far over in the yard and bit him every time he mowed the yard...He picked it up with a shovel and threw it on a tree stump........It is still growing...ON A TREE STUMP!!! My question to any of you is this....Has anyone successfully relocated a cactus and lived to talk about it....

6 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

My, yes, I have had the same problem, but with a yucca plant. I made the mistake of planting it near my front steps, but it grew so big that it sticks whoever walks by. Then I decided to dig it out. Not. Cut it down. Not. Poison it. Not. In fact, after all of that, only a few "leaves" turned brown and it grew back stronger and bigger than ever. I don't want to have to move to get rid of it. It will surely outlive me.

Chatty Crone said...

You should have me over to take care of it or water it - I kill all plants. lol

sandie

Buttercup said...

I'm with Sandie. Send it to me and that will end the problem very quickly.

LindainNCtoo said...

I can still remember when I tried to move a cactus with thick leather gloves and the briars STILL came through the gloves. Remnants of the cactus still stayed behind and grew anyway. That was almost 15 yrs ago.

Each year I mow it down with the lawnmower.

septembermom said...

Diablo sounds like he's happy hanging out with you two!!

Shug said...

Not here. No cactus around our house....Good luck! Love your look and the music

shug